Current:Home > MarketsTrial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -StockSource
Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:43:36
PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (99765)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- A British neonatal nurse convicted of killing 7 babies loses her bid to appeal
- Mike Love calls Beach Boys reunion with Brian Wilson in documentary 'sweet' and 'special'
- Southwest Airlines flights will appear in Google Flights results
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Millie Bobby Brown Marries Jake Bongiovi in Private Ceremony
- Workers at Georgia school bus maker Blue Bird approve their first union contract
- Does Adobe Lightroom have AI? New tools offer 'erase' feature with just one click
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- A Walk in the Woods With My Brain on Fire: Spring
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Growing publisher buying 10 newspapers in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi
- You'll Be Stuck On New Parents Sofia Richie and Elliot Grainge's Love Story
- Catholic church in downtown Madison catches fire following storms
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- The 42 Best Memorial Day Home Deals: Pottery Barn, Wayfair, West Elm, Target, Walmart, Saatva & More
- The Truth About Travis Scott and Alexander A.E. Edwards' Cannes Physical Altercation
- The Shiba Inu that became meme famous as the face of dogecoin has died. Kabosu was 18
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Mike Love calls Beach Boys reunion with Brian Wilson in documentary 'sweet' and 'special'
The Shiba Inu that became meme famous as the face of dogecoin has died. Kabosu was 18
Louisiana legislature approves bill to classify abortion pills as controlled substances
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
6 killed in Idaho crash were agricultural workers from Mexico, officials say
How Beyonce’s Mom Tina Knowles Supported Kelly Rowland After Viral Cannes Incident
Fleet Week NYC 2024: See massive warships sailing around New York to honor service members